Chimpanzee Trekking In Uganda And Rwanda
What Is Chimpanzee Trekking
Chimpanzee trekking is an activity that involves searching to find the chimpanzees in the wilderness (not dictionary explanation). Chimpanzees have about 98 % human genes are these are the closet cousins of humans in the animals kingdom.
Where Is Chimpanzee Trekking Done
In Uganda, Kibale Forest National Park is home to the biggest number of habituated Chimpanzees in Africa. They are residents of the tropical forest of Kibale and trekking chimpanzees is dome twice per day that is to say morning session when the chimpanzees are de-nesting from there overnight nests and evening session up to the moment when the chimpanzees begin to construct nests where they will spend the night. Each session is unique and very amazing as you get to learn how wild animals try to live like almost humans.
Kalinzu Forest reserve and Kyambura Gorge in Queen Elizabeth National park, Kaniyo Pabidi in Murchison Falls are homes of the Chimpanzees too. Ngamba Island in Lake Victoria is home to the orphaned chimpanzees which have been rescued from snares, traffickers, abandoned find a home and community to stay with. All these are habitats to the chimpanzees.
In Rwanda, chimpanzee trekking is done from Nyungwe Forest National park. This tropical forest is home to other primates too like the blue monkeys, vervet monkeys, grey cheeked mangabey and so much more. This forest also inhabits numerous birds that roam around and find food for the day.
What are the requirements for Chimpanzee Trekking
A chimpanzee trekking permit is vital for one to be allowed to trek the chimpanzees. In Uganda, a chimpanzee permit is sold at $200 from July 2020.
What is the age limit for Chimpanzee trekking
A person from the age of 13 years and above can be allowed to trek the chimpanzees in Uganda.
What gears are relevant for Chimpanzee trekking
- Trekking boots are very helpful to overcome anything that may hurt your feet during the trek.
- Insect repellants keep your skin protected from biting nettles.
- Energy bites will keep you going as the search time is not known depending on the mobility of the chimpanzees
- Some drinking water to quench thirst.
- A large brim hat to protect your hair from getting wet
- A camera will keep memories of your chimpanzee trekking experience alive
- Sun glasses will protect your eyes from flying insects in the wilderness.
- Some hard cash will assist you to buy some souvenirs or make payments for some assistance rendered.
- A poncho or rain coat will protect you from getting so wet as this is a tropical forest where it may rain at any time.
Chimpanzee Trekking Regulations
In order to protect the chimpanzees and there habitat, you are required to follow the instructions below.
- When you meet the chimpanzees, stand at a distance of about 8 meters because they are still wild animals despite the fact that they have been habituated for human viewing. They may easily spread any contagious disease or you may also do the same.
- In case you have any communicable disease, volunteer to stay behind because the chimpanzees are susceptible to human infections which may cause them to fall ill and die.
- Try not to eat while in front of the chimpanzees because at times they may try to grab what you are chewing yet they are wild animals that must look for there own food.
- Children of 12 year and below are not permitted to view the chimpanzees for safety reasons.
- Do not enter the park without a ranger guide as the forest also contains other animals that may be harmful to you.
- In case you wish to have a long call while trekking to see the chimpanzees, ask the ranger to excavate a hole for you and cover beyond recognition so that the environment is kept clean and the animals are not tempted to dig it out.
- A void anything that may scare the animals or provoke them because they are very keen with protecting there community against intruders.
- Flash photography is strictly forbidden.
- Follow the instructions of your guide because he or she is more conversant with the forest and any mistake done may send the chimps into hiding.
TRENDING SAFARI PACKAGES
Our Personalised high-end tours, offering travelers a rare and exclusive experience as it should be.